Thursday, November 25, 2010

Module 3

Google Docs is a free, Web-based word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, and form application suite. It allows users to create and edit documents online while collaborating in real-time with other users. It is accessible anywhere, anytime. Students can work together on the one document. Like blogs, students are publishing to a readership, not just writing for the teacher, so it becomes more motivating.
On attempting to access Google Docs via my iGoogle homepage, I realised I have far TOO many gadgets and it takes far too long! I’ll have to declutter!

It seems to be easy enough to create a document in Google Docs, although I would probably use this application more as an internet filing system where I store the documents I expect I will need outside of my home or ‘home’ computer, or that I want to share with a colleague. I can use this facility to store educational files so that I don’t need to use a USB, and my daughter can access them from interstate to use in her classroom. I much prefer creating my document in Word because the text space is very narrow in which to type. I can’t see the whole document. I cannot use the mouse to move my cursor, just the arrows. On accessing the original document to share and edit I am able to edit more easily but not all of my text is appearing on the page as I type- frustrating. The concept is good though. Revision history and real time chat are great features that make collaboration easy. It is also simple to share and I like that I can choose who accesses the document.

No comments:

Post a Comment